Job Posting: Development Manager
12-Month Contract Position (with opportunity for extension)
Agriculture for Life (Ag for Life) is looking to grow its team. If you are looking for a challenge and want to be part of a dynamic organization we want to hear from you.
Ag for Life (www.agricultureforlife.ca) is an Alberta based non-profit charitable organization with a mandate to deliver educational programming that serves to improve rural and farm safety and build a genuine understanding and appreciation of the impact agriculture has on our lives.
Position Overview: Development Manager
Supporting the CEO, the Development Manager is directly responsible for the strategic development and implementation of Ag for Life’s revenue generating activities including partnerships, sponsorships and an annual giving plan that encompasses cultivating and maintaining relationships with new and existing donors and supporters, developing and building a major gifts program, stewarding government funding, and researching and writing grant proposals and reports. The Development Manager is also responsible for overseeing fundraising events and supporting third party fundraising initiatives.
- Provide leadership on fundraising strategy; advise and support CEO in fundraising activities – this includes developing and implementing a comprehensive written annual fund development plan with strategies and targets for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, organizations, corporations, etc.;
- Create and maintain tools to monitor and evaluate all fund development activities to ensure that fundraising goals are being achieved;
- Provide a monthly report to the CEO, which measures progress towards achieving the plan;
- Create and monitor the annual fund development budget ensuring both efficiency and effectiveness of expenditures;
- Represent the organization externally as appropriate and required;
- Provide guidance and support for organizational communications strategy and implementation as it relates to fund development;
- Other admin duties as assigned.
- Develop Ag for Life’s prospect pipeline and assist the CEO in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects/funders;
- Update, as required, Ag for Life’s Case for Support and case statement for all programs and services that rely fully or partially on philanthropic revenues;
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices and procedures used in the chartable sector and inform leadership of items that would benefit Ag for Life;
- Create and implement a sponsorship program, major gifts program, a planned giving program, and a volunteer giving program;
- Research and develop funding proposals for charitable foundations, corporate charitable funds and community investment, and other similar funds;
- Manage, track and report on all grant projects and sponsorships;
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and solicit or coordinate the solicitations by CEO as appropriate;
- Work with Ag for Life Marketing and Communications and Programming Specialists to create and update collateral materials to support gift cultivation;
- Develop, implement and sustain internal policies and procedures for gift acceptance and processing;Implement funder engagement, acknowledgement and recognition activities and procedures as outlined in the fund development plan;Responsible for the supervision and management of the fundraising database, ensuring the timely distribution of tax receipts;
- Organize Ag for Life special events, such as networking breakfasts.
- Practice ethical fundraising in keeping with the mission and values of Ag for Life and in accordance with charitable giving standards;
- Other duties as assigned.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Post-secondary graduate with a degree or diploma in Business, Communications, Non-Profit Fundraising, or other related field;
- A minimum of 4 to 6 years of experience managing grant applications, grants, development programs or corporate community investment programs;
- Experience managing projects and complex tasks with multiple stakeholders;
- Proven experience creating and effectively managing program budgets.
- Strong written and verbal English language skills combined with excellent communication, research, report writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated & confident;
- Experience working with a donor management, fundraising or stakeholder management system;
- Exceptional understanding of private philanthropy as it relates to charitable organizations;
- Proven stakeholder management and relationship building skills;
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills and the ability to work independently;
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to effectively multi-task and attention to details are critical;
- Proven experience and success in securing gifts, sponsorships, partnerships and grants of $100,000+ as well as direct response and event fundraising is a plus;
- Creative, out of the box thinker;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products;
- CFRE certification is an asset;
- Interested in farm safety, agriculture and food and has a strong sense of commitment to the mission of Ag for Life;
- Strong network connections considered an asset.
- Home office requirement
- Calgary (area) based
- Frequent travel within province
- Valid Alberta Drivers Licence and reliable transportation to facilitate travel in Alberta
- Occasional overtime, weekend hours
If you feel that you are uniquely qualified for this position please submit your resume and cover letter to Luree Williamson at email@example.com with “Development Manager” in the email subject line. Please include your salary exceptions within your cover letter.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please note that we are unable to respond to all applicants and only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted. Thank you.
Download Posting: Ag for Life Development Manager
Back to Main»